Monday, May 14, 2007

evolution of the vera bradley wikipedia article

Here is some more information of the evolution of the Vera Bradley article and my edits...

Current update on my edits: (click on the links to see my original blog post about each edit)

Edit #1- On March 16, I made my first edit on the article. At this point, the article had very little content and was actually considered a "stub." The article was also tagged for reading like an advertisement. Since I had already been editing wikipedia articles for a month at that point, I felt pretty comfortable and made a substantial edit on this day. I added a lot of information about different colors and created a new subsection of a list and entitled it "Retired designs." Then, I rearranged some of the old bulleted items, added a few more groups of retired patterns, and organized the entire list. The majority of this content has remained, though I have slightly edited it further in my subsequent edits. This first edit seemed to spark a little participation in the wikipedia community and after this, a few other people made some other edits and additions, but didn't delete my edit.

Edit #2- Next, on March 31st, I fixed a sentence that was incomplete and made little sense. I reworded the sentence, clarified and added some more information to the topic. The sentence was about retired designs. This sentence had been added after I created the entire section about the retired designs (see above, edit #1). A few weeks after I fixed the sentence, someone changed my edit slightly, but the majority of the intent of my edit is still there.

Edit #3- On April 26, I made my third edit. I actually made two edits on the same day (though I know they just count for one), because the one edit was just so simple and easy. That edit was to change various verbage of "colors", "patterns", and "designs" to be consistent, and all use "colors", as is used on the official website. This was very simple so I decided to make a more significant edit. To add more content, I added an additional section about the different collections that Vera Bradley offers. I listed seven different collections, each separated with a heading, and then wrote a few sentences to describe each collection. Except for the correction of a spelling mistake I made, this content edit has remained on the article. I am hoping that other people will expand more on this edit and add more information.

Edit #3.5- As I explained in a blog post earlier tonight, I realized today that I was actually not logged in for my first Vera Bradley edit so I decided tonight to make an additional edit to make up for that one that I technically don't get credit for. For this edit (#3.5), I added some information about retired styles. I added a sentence about this and then listed the four styles that will retired soon. Seeing as I only made this edit a few hours ago, it is still there.

Summary of the Evolution of the article: Though Vera Bradley bags are very popular, apparently the company's wikipedia article is not. Hardly any edits were made over the semester and this really surprised me. When I first started with the article, there weren't really any edits of current content to be made because there was little content in existence. I had to add some content and organization in order to really expand the article. Since I added these different headings and categories, more people have edited and filled in the different sections with more information. The article has changed slightly over the semester, but I would argue that I am responsible for the majority of the changes. It was very interesting to me how this played out, and it definitely served as a good contrast to my experience with some other wikipedia articles which were much more high traffic.

No comments: