Monday, May 14, 2007

evolution of the california tortilla wikipedia article

Here is some more information of the evolution of the California Tortilla article and my edits...

Current update on my edits: (click on the links to see my original blog post about each edit)

Edit #1- On March 31st, I made my first edit to this article. When I began, this article was labeled a stub, because it has very little content. I didn't even know where to begin because there was nothing to actually edit. What I decided to do was add some headings about aspects of the restaurant. I added 4 sections: Location, Atmosphere, Menu and Promotions. I also provided some information about each of these headings. This was probably the most significant edit I made during the wikipedia project because I basically increased the content in the article by about 500%. All of the sections still remain in the wikipedia article several months later. The content in each section has been elaborated on, and one additional section has been added, but this basic format that I created has remained.

Edit #2- After making such a large edit, I wasn't sure what to do for my next edit. Finally, I decided to just add some more promotions to the list. I added two seasonal promotions and wrote a few sentences about each one. Unfortunately, since then, someone has deleted all of the seasonal promotions from this section and listed only the yearlong promotions. I guess I agree that the long list of promotions was unnecessary, but I felt like the promotions helped to explain the overall humor and feel of the restaurant.

Edit #3- Finally, I made my 3rd edit to the article on May 9th. For this edit, I simply added a reference link to "The Burrito Blog", a reference I found through a quick google search. It has been less than a week since this edit, and so far it has stayed!


Summary of the Evolution of the Article:
This article is rarely edited. Since my first edit, several months ago, only 3 different users have edited the article. In fact, until just last week, only two edits had been made in addition to mine. Clearly, this article is not a high priority to many people. Last week however, on May 11th, an unregistered user made 8 edits within a matter of minutes, and then minutes later, a registered user with the name "Caltort" made another 5 edits in a few more minutes. I am speculating two things. 1- that this unregistered user is actually "Caltort", and 2- that "Caltort" is someone who works for California Tortilla. Each of the 13 edits is very well done, gramatically correct, and logical. I think its an interesting thought to think about someone who works for the company can edit the article. Except for this recent edit frenzy, there was little activity. This recent string of edits has greatly improved the article and I believe that the article is on its way to having its "stub" status removed!

2 comments:

lkarig loves stiuqxela said...

hey laura,
i was just skimming over the summary of your caltort wiki edits. it seems as if you made great progress with it. nice job on getting the 'stub' status removed.

Ben Gruber said...

Hi Laura,
Reading about your California Tortilla edits makes me hungry and you know what? I think I am going to go there tonight for dinner. Tell me that is not the power of Blogging!