Monday, March 12, 2007

skype!

This past Monday, we had our first skype presentation. Toby from Diva Marketing joined us via skype to talk to us about blogs and marketing. Though we had a few technical difficulties at the beginning, overall it was really cool that we were having a live presentation from someone who wasn't in the building. Calling Toby on skype seemed pretty easy too.

Toby talked about social media and how it has changed how brands are perceived. One example she gave involved flickr, youtube and Burger King. She showed two examples of flickr and youtube presenting an image of Burger King that probably would not have been approved by BK. I thought that was really interesting because I have gone to youtube and flickr many times and have never really thought about how I might have a different perception of different brands as a result of different images I see.

When I found out that Toby was going to speak to the class, I was already interested because I had just blogged about her blog a few days prior. I commented about a blog post she made in regards to Starbucks. I really liked the design of her blog and her writing style, so I was excited to hear her presentation.

The presentation itself was really good, but then later when I was looking over her powerpoint slides again, I was surprised to find a screenshot of my blog! I then looked back and realized that Toby had actually commented on my blog a few days prior. She was using my blog as an example of the "Ying & Yang of The Conversation". I'm pretty sure we ran out of time right before we got to that slide, so I didn't even notice that slide until after the presentation. However, it definitely showed me how interconnected everything is online. It was really a funny/ironic experience so see my blog right there and have the example be really personal to me.

Toby, if you are reading this, thanks for the great presentation!

No comments: