Friday, April 13, 2007

april fools?

A few days ago, my teammate, Laura, made a post entitled April Fools. Basically, she was writing about an article she had read from Scobleizer. This article was talking about new developments that Apple was working on with their "iPhone". Steve Jobs and other executives wanted to expand the usage of the iPhone including capabilities that are similar to Sony's Sony Reader.

Laura explained that this was actually an April's Fool joke and that the story had been fabricated. She proposed a few thoughts about what Apple might really have up their sleeve and how long they'll be able to stay ahead.

Though the story did make me wonder what Apple is working on, the biggest issue that the post brought to my mind was just how easily we believe what we see on the internet. We assume that if someone who is somewhat reputable (or even pretends to be somewhat reputable) says something, it must be true. I am definitely not slamming on Laura, because I do it myself (along with pretty much everyone else in the world). Many companies published jokes on April Fool's Day- such as Google TiSp or Facebook's "Live Poke" and many people fell for them.

Luckily, these jokes don't harm anyone, but sometimes people can use the internet for fraud and can actually be pretty serious so its important to always be aware and skeptical!



Stiuqxela is now an official word in the dictionary... April Fools!

3 comments:

Joel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joel said...

Laura,
You make an interesting point of how easily we (particularly our "generation" and younger) believe the truth of things on the internet. I know I sarcastically joke "oh if it's on the internet then it must be true." But in actuality, I'd say sometimes I think that way or fall for things stupidly. (main street's new "establishment" anyone...?)

I think it's particuarly interesting when you'd compare what we use the internet for and our assumption of truth on the web opposed to our parent's generation. I'd say they are typically much more skeptical and cautious - which in this circumstance is mostly a good thing.

Anyways, nice insightful post and good references to google and facebook's pranks. I enjoy seeing what companies come up with each year for this "holiday."

Laura said...

Joel,

I agree that our parents generation definitely has a different view on the internet and its validity than we do. I also think that their generation is a lot less likely to use the internet for information as well. Thanks for the comment.