Wednesday, February 28, 2007

yumm starbucks... i would love a mocha frappucino right now

Today I read a post from "The Diva Marketing Blog", one of the required blogs, that was posted yesterday, February 27th, 2007. The post was entitled Help Starbucks Get Its Groove Back. This post was basically a response to a request on another blog (brand autoposy)to create a "What Starbucks Must Do" e-book. This compilation book would be a collection of thoughts from blog readers about what Starbucks needs to do to improve their company. On the Diva Marketing blog entry, the writer gives his suggestion for Starbucks. He says that Starbucks needs to return to "Marketing 101" and understand the customer's wants and needs. Basically, he says Starbucks needs to get away from the cookie cutter Starbucks model and be more original. He suggests baked goods from a local bakery as opposed to the corporate standard items. Though this may be a good idea, I don't know if that is the best idea for Starbucks. I think Starbucks is very successful because people know exactly what they're going to get from Starbucks. I personally enjoy the fact that whenever I go to a Starbucks and order a Hazelnut Cafe Mocha, it tastes, looks, and costs the same as it did last time I purchased it, even if it was at a Starbucks 1000 miles away. Most places where a Starbucks exists, there is also a local coffee shop that has homemade baked goods and the more personal feel. I think Starbucks customers don't really want the personal (and inconsistent?) touch and thats why they go to Starbucks.

I did think this idea of a "What Must Starbucks Do?" concept was pretty cool. Pretty much everyone has been to Starbucks and asking real consumers their opinions is a pretty good source when trying to improve your business.

2 comments:

Toby said...

Hi Laura - Thanks for continuing the conversation. SB entered a market, or rather created a market, from the lowly cup of coffee. SB's model leveraged economy of scale and a unique customer experience (environment and product).

Flash into 2007 .. competitors are coming in fast. SB is loosing $. Their model doesn't seem to be work as it did .. SB would be smart to get back to Marketing 101.

I agree with you. The brand absolutely has to have a core consistency but within that what can SB do to meet the needs of their customers? My thoughts are that each SB has become a mini community where customers have unique needs and SB has an opportunity to tap into those desires.

Laura said...

Hi Toby!

Thanks for commenting! And thanks for speaking to our class last week. It was a really interesting presentation. I was really interested to hear that you were speaking to us, after I had just blogged about your blog. I didn't even notice that you had commented until AFTER your presentation when I noticed my blog in your powerpoint! I think we ran out of time just before you got to that point in the presentation.

Anyway, thanks for commenting and sharing your ideas. I really enjoy reading your blog and I especially really like the cute graphics on the top :)

Thanks again for coming to talk to us!

And PS, I'm sorry that I assumed "Toby" was a man. I guess that just proves how the internet is changing more than just the way we do marketing- I could sorta interact with "Toby" without even hearing your voice yet!